Introduction to the MTEX toolbox for microstructural analysis of geomaterials
MTEX (https://mtex-toolbox.github.io/) has become a standard tool for the quantification of crystallographic textures and microstructural-derived physical properties in geological materials. From the quantification of crystallographic preferred orientations (CPOs), intracrystalline deformation, grain sizes and shapes in geological materials, to determination of CPO-derived physical properties (e.g., elastic, piezoelectric), all is possible with MTEX.
In the first part of the short course, we will introduce basic concepts on how MTEX works. In the second part, we will run demonstrations of some application in geological materials.
The following topics will be covered:
1) Importing EBSD data, pre-processing;
2) Checking orientations, ODF quantification, plot of pole figures;
3) Grain segmentation, calculation of grain sizes and shapes;
4) Intracrystalline deformation analysis, subgrains, new grains;
5) Tensors and CPO-derived seismic properties
Demonstrations will be made using the MTEX toolbax in Matlab. Note, however, that familiarity with the toolbox is not required. - This is a short course, not a workshop.
Please email us if you want to participate (firstname.lastname@example.org or email@example.com)