1st "Paolo Farinella" Prize 2011
To honor the memory and the outstanding figure of Paolo Farinella (1953–2000), an extraordinary scientist and person, a prize is established in recognition of significant contributions given in the fields of interest of Paolo, which span from planetary sciences to space geodesy, fundamental physics, science popularization, and security in space, weapons control and disarmament.
The prize has been proposed during the "International Workshop on Paolo Farinella the scientist and the man", held in Pisa in 2010; it is supported by the University of Pisa, by the Space Academy Foundation, by IASF-INAF and IFSI-INAF (Rome).
The first edition of the Farinella Prize is devoted to planetary science and specifically to the physical and dynamical characterization of small solar system bodies, which was a major research interest in Paolo's career. The award ceremony will be hosted by the EPSC-DPS joint meeting in Nantes, France (03–07 October 2011).
For the 1st "Paolo Farinella" Prize the terms and rules are as follows:
- A competition is announced to award the "Paolo Farinella" Prize for the year 2011. The prize consists of a medal, a certificate and the sum of €5000. The winner will be asked to give a Prize lecture.
- The winner will be selected on the basis of his/her overall research results in the field of "physics and dynamics of small solar system bodies".
- The nominations for the "Paolo Farinella" Prize can be made by any researcher that works in the field of planetary sciences following the indications in the attached form. Self nominations are acceptable. The candidates should have international and interdisciplinary collaborations and not be older than 47 years, the age of Paolo when he passed away.
- Nominations must be sent by email not later than 30 June 2011, at the following address: email@example.com
- The winner of the prize will be selected before 15 July 2011 by the "Paolo Farinella" Prize Committee composed of 6 outstanding scientists in planetary sciences, with specific experience in solar system small bodies.
- The selection committee will consider all the nominations, but will be entitled to consider autonomously other candidates.